Thursday 2 June 2011

Fears

In 2 weeks it will be over (sortof). I will be in the intensive care ward, and my body will be starting to recover. I'll be in a deeeeep sleep.

It's no secret that I'm a worrier, and my boyfriend has been hearing all about my many concerns- what if I don't like the results, what if other people don't like the results, what if they do major damage to my nerves and I lose sensation in a huge chunk of my face or my lips, what if I wake up in the middle of the operation... He has been doing a wonderful job putting up with me and trying to calm these fears. Especially the last one. How often would someone wake up during an operation? They knock you out with anaesthetic and monitor you through the surgery, right?

Well.

Last night while I was having dinner, there was a story on the TV about anaesthetic awareness during surgery. And according to the presenters, "it's a phenomenon more common than you'd expect".

Fantastic.

I know that it's still very very rare, but it's something that still scares me. What if I become fully aware of what's happening to me and can feel the pain as they're hacking into my face? I guess maybe you might pass out from the intense pain, but it's a horrible thought.

Oh well. If it happens, it happens, and there is nothing I can do about it. Just have to hope like hell that I'm not one of the unlucky ones who gets to experience it!

In other news, I've been making the most of eating solid foods and I'm feeling like a bit of a fatty. It's not nice. And the anaesthetist will have to weigh me to work out my dosage- yet another thing to stress about! hahaha *sigh

I see my surgeon on Tuesday afternoon, so I will post and let everyone know how it goes. I'll also post some before photos at some stage... I can't believe how close it is getting!

2 comments:

  1. I had the same fears as you,I had upper and lower and chin surgery done. It took the surgeon 5 1/2 hours. Honestly it isn't as bad as you think. Your first week will be the toughest. I am currently 5 week post-op. I wish you all the best in your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might help but someone told me that apparently its 1/10 men who sort of awaken while under general. I was very worried about this when I went to get my wisdom teeth out but I can't even remember closing my eyes, its like theres a gap in time. Anyway the guy who told me goes to the same surgeon as me and the surgeon said it really only happens to men, it happened to him and it also happened to my godmothers son but I think they just put you back to sleep. So far I've heard of no cases where it happened to women.

    I'll send lots of good vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete