Wednesday 8 June 2011

Measurements

I saw my surgeon yesterday for a last check-in before surgery. They took more moulds which they’ll take into surgery as a reference, and bite impressions that they’ll use to make a big ugly plastic splint which will be affixed to my top teeth for a few weeks to train my teeth into their new bite position. He went over things like what to expect on the surgery day, what will happen during surgery, what my life will be like during recovery, and all the bits and pieces I’m going to need. He seems very confident that we’ll get a really good result. He is very experienced and I need to just trust that he knows what he’s doing, which is very difficult for a control freak like me! Another thing he did at the appointment was to measure me. Basically he used these huge metal pincer things that plugged into my ear holes and jammed into my bone, and this part that came pressing down onto my nose. I think they use all these measurements to work out how they need to secure my head during surgery. It hurt super bad because they had to have it very tight. I suppose it’s a good thing- means my head won’t have any chance of flopping around while they’re sawing and drilling into my face!

I’ll be in intensive care for a few days following surgery, then back in a “normal” room until I’m discharged. I’ll have lots of painkillers and anti-inflammatories to take and I need to keep my nutrition levels up to help me heal. My mouth will be elasticised shut for up to 2 weeks, which will mean a completely liquid diet, using a syringe plunger with a long tube to squirt my “meals” to the back of my mouth. Does not sound like fun! After the elastics are removed I’ll be able to introduce soft foods. And the surgeon said normal diet after about 3 months.

So it’s just over a week to go. I’m in the midst of trying to organise the coming weekend. As my friend said, it shall be “boozy, fun and foody”. My mum’s also got me thinking about what I want to eat the night before my surgery. It’s a big decision!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you!! Im at 6 weeks post op now and getting better every day. Hang in there. You will be so glad when it's all finished!!

    ReplyDelete